Details on the Queens
in the year 1913, the Chamber of Commerce of the Borough
of Queens recommended to Borough President Maurice E. Connolly
that it would be appropriate if an official Queens Flag
were to be designed and adopted.
Connolly agreed and assigned Rodman J. Pearson, a draftsman
in the Bureau of Sewers, to prepare preliminary sketches,
which were later submitted to the Chamber's board of directors
special committee consisting of Commissioner of Highways
G. Howland Leavitt, Louis Windemuller and Charles G. Meyer
was appointed to confer with E. Hageman Hall, president
of the New York Historical Society and secretary of the
American Scenic and Historical Preservation Society, for
the purpose of authenticating the various elements of the
Mr. Hall's suggestion, several important changes were incorporated
and finally on June 3, 1913, the revised sketch was adopted
by the Queens Chamber.
Chamber defrayed the expense of making the initial flags,
later displayed at regular functions of the Queens Chamber
and at its headquarters in Long Island City, at the Queens
Borough Public Library in Jamaica, and at Queens Borough
Hall in Kew Gardens.
new Queens Flag was first displayed officially at the celebration
inaugurating construction of the dual rapid transit system
in Queens on June 7, 1913.
some reason, it was not flown at Borough Hall until October
14, 1929, when Borough President George U. Harvey raised
it upon the Borough Hall standard in the presence of Queens
Chamber officials and borough civic leaders.