CITY OF NEW YORK
Queens Borough President
CITYWIDE JOB VACANCY NOTICE
Office Title: Assistant General Counsel
Number of Positions: 1
Hours/Shift: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Level: Experienced (non-manager)
Salary: $66,326.00 – $99,394.00
Under the direction of the General Counsel to the Borough President (“BP”), with latitude for the exercise of independent judgment, the Assistant General Counsel is responsible for supporting legal and policy projects of the office and providing legal advice to the BP's Office staff. Principal duties and responsibilities are as follows:
• Conducting research and providing legal advice and analysis to BP staff on a wide range of issues including aviation, land use, housing, immigration, education, health care and conflicts of interest;
• Assisting General Counsel in managing BP compliance and contracting operations; including the preparation of mandatory reports to the Conflict of Interest Board (“COIB”) and the review of potential grantees receiving BP discretionary funding;
• Assisting General Counsel in managing BP compliance with audits;
• Serving as Records Access Officer under FOIL;
• Drafting of BP testimony or remarks for public hearings and meetings;
• Drafting of briefings and guidelines for implementation of new legislation or rules impacting the BP’s Office;
• Representing the BP in connection with various task forces, working groups and public hearings or meetings;
• Advising and assisting Constituent Services staff in responding to constituent issues or complaints;
• Advising and assisting Community Board staff with litigation, FOIL, Open Meetings Law and other governance issues;
• Serving as liaison with City agencies and elected officials and their staff;
• Attending events with the BP as needed, which may include nights and weekends.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
1. Admission to the New York State Bar; and either "2" or "3" below.
2. Two years of satisfactory United States legal experience subsequent to admission to any state bar in the areas of law related to the position; or
3. One year of satisfactory service at Assignment level I.
• Demonstrated Interest in Public Service.
• Significant preference will be given to candidates with litigation experience.
• Strong legal analysis, writing, and research skills.
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
• Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Ability to define and address factual and legal issues in a clear, detailed and concise fashion, in writing and verbally.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure.
• Administrative law, policy, or legislative background or experience.
• Ability to work effectively independently and in a team setting.
• History of volunteerism and civic engagement is viewed favorably.
• Candidates must provide satisfactory references and recent writing samples representing the candidate’s efforts, not those of a reviewer.
New York City residency is required within 90 days of appointment.
TO APPLY PLEASE SUBMIT ELECTRONICALLY:
A letter expressing interest in the position, a resume and two recent writing samples, included with the cover letter in the same document file.
Current City Employees:
Please log into Employee Self Service (ESS) at http://www.nyc.gov/ess and search for Job ID number 306141.
All other applicants:
Please go to http://www.nyc.gov/jobs and search for Job ID number 306141.
Questions regarding this posting can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted for an interview.
The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer.