CITY OF NEW YORK
Queens Borough President
CITYWIDE JOB VACANCY NOTICE
Office Title: GENERAL COUNSEL
Number of Positions: 1
Hours/Shift: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Commensurate with experience
The General Counsel is an Executive level position reporting directly to the Queens Borough President and serves as the Legal Advisor to the Queens Borough President (“QBP”) and staff on all legal issues. Duties and responsibilities include:
• Provides legal advice and analysis to the QBP and staff on a wide range of issues affecting the operation of the Office including conflicts of interest, land use, housing, immigration, aviation, education, health care and various constituent services issues;
• Reviews and interprets the City Charter, other local laws, statutes and directives to ensure Office compliance;
• Represents the QBP in various boards and working groups, including the New York City Employee Retirement System (“NYCERS”); the Queens Public Library; the Franchise and Concession Review Committee (“FCRC”);
• Managing the QBP compliance and contracting operation and acting as the Chief Contracting Officer for the Office
• Serving as Records Access Officer under FOIL and managing all other information requests;
• Researches proposed legislation and local ordinances to determine potential impact on the organization and constituency;
• Drafts and edits QBP testimony or remarks for public hearings meetings and guidelines for implementation of new legislation or rules impacting the QBP Office;
• Working with the Director of Community Boards, advising and providing technical assistance to Community Board members and staff on as needed basis;
• Liaises with the New York City Law Department with respect to all matters of legal counsel, litigation support and contract approvals.
Admission to the New York State Bar and a minimum of seven years’ experience in the capacity of General or Associate Counsel in a similar sized organization or city agency. Incumbents must remain members of the New York State Bar in good standing for the duration of this employment. Must have the ability to work collaboratively and intensively with a small team of professionals in an elective office. The QBP offers all staff a competitive compensation and benefits package.
TO APPLY, PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME TO:
A letter expressing interest in the position, a resume, and two writing samples
SUSANNE MARCHETTI, DIRECTOR OF PERSONNEL
Office of the Borough President
120-55 Queens Boulevard, Suite 249
Kew Gardens, NY 11424
May 29, 2018
June 6, 2018
The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
New York City Residency Required.